Vehicle Insurance

Automobile accidents represent a significant source of loss exposure for the University.  Several types of auto claims can arise, as described below:

Auto Property - UA vehicles

This type of claim is for loss or physical damage to university owned vehicles. Examples include loss or damage from collisions, windshield damage, vandalism, theft, weather, fire, etc.  To seek recovery of expenses for damage to a UA owned vehicle, complete an Auto Loss Report and submit to RMS as soon as possible.  For questions, contact Eric Cunningham at 621-3482 or

Auto Liability - Property Damage and/or Bodily Injury

This type of claim arises when a private party suffers damage to their vehicle or property, or suffers a bodily injury.  Liability claims from third parties must be made directly to the Arizona Board of Regents in accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes §12-821.01.  Private parties who wish to make a liability claim for damages incurred from collision with a UA vehicle may contact RMS a Notice of Claim form.  Claims are evaluated and adjusted by the Arizona Department of Administration, Risk Management Division.  The UA does not control the claims process, adjusters handle claims directly with claimants.

Procedures in the Event of an Auto Accident

  1. Call 911 and request police and medical assistance as needed. It is recommended that police be called for all collisions, regardless of severity to obtain a third party evaluation of the incident.  If local Police are unavailable to respond in a reasonable amount of time, collect as much of the information referenced below as possible, and notify Risk Management Services as soon as possible. 
  2. Render first aid to the extent you feel you can do so comfortably and in good faith. While awaiting emergency response, try to make injured persons comfortable, but do not attempt to move them.
  3. Provide all requested information to police officers at the scene.
  4. Do not admit liability or make any promise or representation that any person's damages will be covered by the university or the State of Arizona. Similarly, do not accuse the other driver of fault, or engage in arguments about fault.
  5. To the extent you can reasonably do so, obtain written names and contact information for all persons involved in the accident, including passengers and any potential witnesses.
  6. If you have a camera available, and are not injured, take photos of the accident scene, including all involved vehicles to document the event.  Also take photos of roadways, hazards, or other possible factors that may have contributed to the accident.
  7. Persons interested in making a damage claim should be referred to Risk Management Services for claims forms and information.
  8. Immediately notify Risk Management Services and your supervisor about the accident to ensure all necessary information is obtained.
  9. Complete an Automobile Loss Report and submit it to Risk Management Services as soon as possible. If U of A employees are injured in the accident, then in addition to the Auto Loss Report, a Supervisor's Report of Employee Injury must be completed for each employee. Click below for information about submitting an online injury report.

Incident Reporting

Insurance Issues for Vehicle Property Claims

UA Motor Pool Vehicles - The UA Motor Pool arranges for all repairs to vehicles from their rental fleet, and coordinates all claims with RMS. Renters are required to immediately report all damage to the Motor Pool. Damage or repairs not covered by the State's insurance program will be charged to the renting department.

UA Departmental Vehicles - Departments may make their own repair arrangements for damage to departmental vehicles. To be eligible for insurance reimbursement, an Auto Loss Report must be submitted to RMS within required deadlines, obtain estimates, and have the repair approved before proceeding.  Depending on dollar value of the damage, a state adjuster may want to inspect the vehicle before repairs are authorized.  Losses less than $100 are not covered.  Windshield repair or replacement must be coordinated in advance with RMS to obtain referral to the contracted auto-glass company.  Click below for additional information regarding windshield repair.

WindShield Claims

Non-UA Commercial Rental Vehicles

UA/State of Arizona Rental Contracts

When the need arises for a UA department or employee to rent a vehicle, travelers should utilize the existing State of Arizona contracts with either Enterprise Rent-a-Car/National Car Rental, Hertz Car Rental, or Avis. The State's contracts with Enterprise, Hertz, and Avis include coverage for a collision damage waiver (CDW) and liability coverage (third party liability limits of $100,000/$300,000/$50,000) within the rate structure, at no additional cost to the UA. Contract details are available below. When making a reservation, it is imperative to reference the agreement/contract number. RMS strongly encourages the use of these pre-negotiated rental agreements as they prevent the UA from being exposed to additional claims for vehicle damage or third party liability. 

Enterprise/National: Agreement #XZ50223

Hertz: Agreement CDP#66596

Avis: Agreement AWD-A727100 

Rental Vehicle Claims when the UA/State of Arizona Contract is Not Used 

If a rental car (when the State of Arizona rental contract is not used) is damaged while in U of A use, the rental agency must make a liability claim against the State to obtain recovery of the damages. Always report damage immediately to the rental car agency, and refer them to RMS for guidance and claim instructions.  For U.S. rentals (when the State of Arizona rental contract is not used), driver should decline all insurance offered by the rental agency, which typically will include a loss damage waiver or collision damage waiver (LDW or CDW) and any supplemental liability coverage.  Liability incurred while using a rental vehicle on authorized UA business is covered by the State Risk Management self-insurance program. Rental vehicles used for non-business personal travel are not covered by UA insurance.  Drivers who wish to combine personal use with UA business use (example - vacation time following a conference) should consider their need for additional insurance, at their own expense. 

International Commercial Rental Vehicles

When traveling internationally and renting a vehicle, RMS strongly recommends the purchase of a loss damage waiver (LDW) or collision damage waiver (CDW), if offered by the rental vendor. Purchasing the LDW or CDW will inhibit vehicle damage charges to a user's personal credit card or UA department PCard. 

Personal Vehicles Driven on UA Business

There is no State coverage for damage to personal vehicles. Vehicle owners are expected to have their own insurance, and the mileage reimbursement rate includes a cost factor for this expense. Liability incurred in a personal vehicle on U of A business is covered by the State, but only on an excess basis. Personal liability insurance must be exhausted to address claims before State coverage applies.  RMS has developed a Personal Vehicle Use Authorization Form for use by departments document approval of personal vehicle use for UA business. 

Insurance Issues for Vehicle Liability Claims

Employees and other authorized persons driving on U of A business are covered by the State for liability arising from their actions, in accordance with the Risk Management Statute A.R.S. §41-621 et seq. Legal defense of claims against the U of A is provided by the Office of the Arizona Attorney General, Liability Management Section.  This coverage does not involve defense or handling of driver citations, which remain the responsibility of the driver.

Persons who believe they have incurred damages in the form of property damage or bodily injury as the result of university vehicle use must make their claim against the State of Arizona, in accordance with the requirements of A.R.S. §12-821.01. University officials may not settle liability claims, and may not offer any promise or representation concerning the validity of a claim. Persons wishing to make a liability claim may obtain a form from RMS titled "Notice of Claim Against the State of Arizona." This form is not available online, and must be submitted directly to the Arizona Board of Regents as indicated in the instructions.