Industrial Hygiene and Safety Consultation Services

University employees who want assistance in implementing effective safety and health programs to prevent the occurrence of injuries and illnesses that may result from exposure to hazardous workplace conditions and work practices can get free industrial hygiene and safety consultation services from Risk Management Services (RMS). 


  • Chemical exposure assessments
  • Chemical hazard communication training (required by law for those using hazardous chemicals)
  • Respirator fit testing and training (required by law for respirator use)
  • Noise exposure assessments and hearing protection training (required by law for excessive noise exposure)
  • Indoor environmental quality assessments
  • Biological exposure assessments
  • Ergonomic assessments and training
  • Fall hazard assessments and training
  • Bloodborne pathogen assessments and training (required by law for those with potential exposure to human blood or body fluids)
  • Heat stress assessments and training
  • Exhaust ventilation system design and assessments
  • Code interpretation and compliance assessments
  • And more

Note – Research laboratory safety is handled by Research Laboratory & Safety Services and some aspects of biological safety are handled by University Animal Care through the Animal Hazards Program.


Industrial Hygiene and Safety Consultation services will:

  1. Help you anticipate and recognize safety and health hazards in your workplace.
  2. Evaluate the potential risks.
  3. Suggest approaches or options for controlling the hazards, reducing the risks and complying with regulatory requirements.
  4. Provide a written report that summarizes these findings.
  5. Identify sources of help available to you if you need further assistance.
  6. Offer training and education for you and your employees.


  1. Request for consultation services must be made using the Risk Management Services' Industrial Hygiene and Safety Services Request form or from RMS by calling 621-1790.
  2. Completed Service Request forms can be submitted: on-line, by e-mail at, or by FAX at 621-3706.
  3. Upon receipt, requests will be prioritized and requesters will be provided with a time frame in which the services will be provided.  Requests will be addressed as soon as possible considering the number of requests and staffing limitations.

Requests for urgent assistance will still be taken by phone at 621-1790 during normal work hours or during off-hours by calling UAPD at 621-UAPD (8273) or 911 (for emergencies).