Risk Management Services

A Unit of the Business Affairs Division

Frequently Asked Questions – Workers' Compensation

This section provides additional instructions and answers to frequently asked questions about employee injury reporting and the workers' compensation claim process.

How do supervisors submit injury claim online?

I've been hurt on the job – What do I do?

  • Tell your supervisor about your injury as soon as possible.
  • Get medical treatment if needed, see below for treatment options.
  • Ask your supervisor to submit an injury report for you on UAccess.

Where can I get medical treatment?

  • CorVel 24/7: call 1-800-685-2877 to speak with a triage nurse.
  • For emergencies, call 9-1-1 for paramedic response and ambulance transportation to the nearest emergency room or trauma center.
  • For non-emergency situations, injured employees may seek care at any of the following:
    • UA Campus Health Service, Occupational Health Unit-First Aid ONLY
    • FASTMED Ugent Care (Employee can use any FASTMED location)
             2460 N Swan, Suite 140 (Tucson, AZ 85712, 520-441-5405)
             5594 E 22nd St. (Tucson, AZ 85711, 520-232-2047) 
             1400 N Wilmot Rd. (Tucson, AZ 85715, 520-884-4999) 
             1895 W Valencia Rd Suite 101 (Tucson, AZ, 520-576-5104) 
             9175 E Tanque Verde suite 187 (Tucson, AZ, 520-407-5699) 
             7850 N. Silverbell, suite 132 (Marana, AZ 85743)
    • Concentra Medical Centers
             East – 7119 E. Broadway Blvd
             South – 4600 S. Park Ave., Suite 5
             North – 2005 W. Ruthrauff Rd., Suite 111
    • Concenta now has the following specialty doctors on a rotation.
             Jose Alicea, MD Orthopedic Surgeon
             James Hess, DO Orthopedic Surgeon
             George Myo, MD Orthopedic Surgeon
             Joseph Christiano, Jr. MD Neuro surgeon
             Thoms Cury, DO Phsical Medicine and Rehabilitation
    • Sunnyside Medical – 3681 S. Palo Verde
    • Tucson Occupational Medicine
             1661 W. Grant Road
             888 S. Craycroft Road
             2945 W. Ina Road, Suite 103
  • Departments with operations outside the Tucson area are encouraged to plan ahead of an injury and identify appropriate injury treatment options in their immediate area. Treatment may be obtained at any urgent care center, occupational health clinic, hospital, or other healthcare provider.

What should I tell the doctor or clinic staff?

  • Tell the medical care provider that your injury is work related.
  • Provide the treating physician with information about how the injury happened.
  • The employee will fill out the top portion of a form called “Worker’s & Physician’s report of injury for the Industrial Commission of Arizona (102)” and the physical will complete the bottom portion and mail it out to the appropriate agencies.

I need Physical Therapy, what do I do?

Please call industrial Solutions Network (ISN) at toll free 866-224-8828, Phoenix 602-788-1888. Fax the request to 602-923-9455 with the injured employees address and phone number. Industrial Solutions will help the employee obtain authorization and also find the closest location for their physical therapy. ISN is dedicated to supporting employers and claims adjusters when an injured worker needs physical therapy.

Who is the U of A's workers' compensation insurance company?

The State of Arizona, through the Arizona Department of Administration, Risk Management Division (ADOA-RMD) manages workers' compensation coverage for all state employees. ADOA-RMD is also referred to as State Risk Management.

What is the U of A's Policy Number?

The answer to this question is: SELF INSURED PER ARS §41-621

How does a workers' compensation claim start?

Upon receipt of the supervisor report of injury/illness, UA RMS will forward to State Risk Manangement and a claim will be created for those injured employees who have received or are planning on seeking medical care. Notification of the claim's status (accepted or denied) is mailed to the injured employee's home address from State Risk Management. If the claim is accepted for benefits, the notification will provide the claim number and the name and contact info for the assigned claims representative. The claims representative monitors the medical status of the injured employee, and must authorize all medical treatment under the claim.

How can I check on the status of my claim?

The name and contact information of the claims representative at State Risk Management is included with the notification of claim acceptance. You may also call their main number at (602) 542-2182.

I just got a bill in the mail for treatment of my injury. What do I do?

  • Call the treatment facility and tell them your injury was work related.
  • Give the treatment facility your workers' compensation claim number and tell them to forward the bill to the following address:
         Arizona Department of Administration
         Risk Management Division, Workers' Compensation Unit
         100 N. 15th Avenue, Suite 301
         Phoenix, AZ 85007
         Phone: (602) 542-2182 Fax: (602) 542-1490

The doctor treating my injury has taken me off work. What do I do?

  • Tell your supervisor you have been taken off work.
  • Provide a copy of the off-work slip from the doctor to your supervisor and to RMS.
  • Ask the doctor if you are able to perform modified or restricted duty.
  • Following prescribed treatment, medications, physical therapy to get well and back on the job as soon as possible.
  • Avoid activities that might worsen your injury or slow your healing time. Examples might include work around the house, recreational activities, hobbies, sports, etc.
  • If you have a second job, or other source of income, this must be disclosed to your claim representative.

When can I return to work?

  • Your treating physician must authorize your return to work and provide a written return to work status report. A copy must be provided to your supervisor, and to RMS. Your return to work may be with modified, restricted, or full duties, as directed by your physician.

How is time reporting done while an employee is off work for a workers' compensation injury?

  • If an employee is off work for seven or fewer calendar days for a work related injury, workers' compensation benefits for lost time are not applicable. Work absence must be reported in accordance with U of A policies for time reporting.

Will I get a regular U of A paycheck while off work for a workers' compensation injury?

  • It depends. After a claim is accepted for benefits, the employee may choose to receive their workers' compensation benefits directly, and change to unpaid status in the U of A payroll system, or they may elect to use the Buy Back Program to stay in the U of A payroll system and maintain their U of A benefits.

What is the Buy Back Program?

The U of A allows eligible injured employees to stay on the U of A payroll, by reporting their absence as sick or vacation leave, and allowing their workers' compensation benefits to reimburse the employee's leave balance. To be eligible, employees must have a combined leave balance of 80 hours at the time of their injury. This arrangement allows U of A benefits such as health insurance and retirement contributions to continue without interruption. Employees must sign a Buy Back Authorization form (PDF format) to enroll in this program.

For any additional questions about Workers' Compensation, contact Belen Aranda at (520) 621-3626 or workcomp@list.arizona.edu.
If Belen is unavailable, please call the Risk Management Services front desk at (520) 621-1790 and we will find someone to assist you.

(Se habla español)