OSHA promulgated an updated standard (29 CFR 1910.178) in 1999 regulating Powered Industrial Trucks (PITs) including forklifts, pallet jacks and any equipment that moves horizontally by other than human power. Site specific and equipment specific operator training and documentation are key requirements of the regulation.
PITs at the University of Arizona:
- Employees operating or supervising regulated equipment are required to complete a training program administered by either Risk Management Services (RMS) or a qualified trainer within the employee's department. RMS can provide necessary training materials for use by supervisors.
- Trained employees are authorized to operate equipment for a period of three (3) years. Re-certification is required every three years.
Departments are strongly encouraged to identify permanent staff that regularly operate this equipment for certification, and avoid operation by student employees or other temporary or intermittent employees.
The training program includes:
- Video/overhead presentation and lecture followed by a short multiple choice test (20 questions). Review and discussion of test questions and correct responses.
- "Behind the Wheel" demonstration of safe and controlled operation of a specific piece(s) of equipment. This should be conducted at the type of anticipated work site, i.e. warehouse, equipment or storage yard, construction project or agricultural experiment station.
- Every group, shop or department must designate a PIT Supervisor and at least one Alternate to be initially trained to conduct new employee and re-certification training.
- Coaching, mentoring and disciplinary action are all responsibilities of the PIT Supervisor.
- Horseplay while operating a PIT will not be tolerated.
- PITs should be inspected prior to every use or once per month (whichever is more frequent). Inspection logs should be kept on-site and copies of monthly logs should be sent to Risk Management Services no later than the 5th of the month.
- Please use the following University of Arizona Forklift Inspection log link for your monthly inspection log.
- Monthly log sheets may be sent to Risk Management via fax (621-3706), campus mail (Box 210300), or e-mail
Upon completion of training, Risk Management Services will issue operator wallet cards indicating certification and expiration date. Individual departments will retain duplicate training records available for inspection by regulatory representatives.
Please contact the Department of Risk Management Services at 621-1790 to schedule PIT Training.