Risk Management Services

A Unit of the Business Affairs Division

Fleet Safety Policy Section 4

4.0 High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Requirements

For purposes of this policy, the university defines High Occupancy Vehicles (HOVs) as passenger or cargo vans that are designed, modified, or could otherwise be configured for a seating capacity of 9 – 15 persons including the driver.

Drivers of HOVs on university business must meet all driver qualification and training requirements outlined in Sections 2.0 through 2.6 of this document, which include the following provisions:

  1. HOV drivers must be at least 19 years of age, and have been licensed for at least three years.
  2. HOV drivers must complete a classroom training program and successfully demonstrate behind-the-wheel proficiency prior to being authorized to drive HOVs on university business.
  3. HOV drivers must attend refresher classroom training every four years.

Classroom training for HOV drivers will be provided by RMS. Drivers may submit evidence of equivalent training from other employers or agencies to meet this requirement. Acceptability of other classroom training is determined by RMS.

Behind-the-wheel proficiency review may be conducted by RMS or university employees in individual units authorized by RMS to perform this task. A standard checklist of required driving maneuvers will be used for this purpose.

Those authorized by RMS to conduct behind-the-wheel proficiency review must be faculty or staff, already must be certified as HOV drivers, should be experienced drivers, and must use the standard checklist to document driver proficiency. The proficiency reviewer will sign and date the checklist form to verify successful HOV operation by the driver. The behind the wheel checklist must be forwarded to Risk Management Services upon completion.

Upon completion of classroom and behind-the-wheel proficiency review, RMS will issue an HOV Driver's Certification card.

5.0 University Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance

Primary responsibility for annual vehicle safety inspection and maintaining a central record of inspections is assigned to the university Motor Pool. Details concerning implementation of this program are included as Appendix A.

Each university department/unit is responsible for ensuring that vehicles under their inventory control are properly inspected and maintained in accordance with university requirements. University departments/units that own vehicles are responsible for all costs of operation, including inspections, maintenance, repairs, and allocated insurance premiums.

6.0 Use of Personal Owned Vehicles on University Business

The use of personal vehicles for official university business is authorized if the following requirements are met (see also FRS Transportation Policy 14.15):

  1. Drivers must meet the qualifications as defined in Sections 2.0 through 2.6 of this document.
  2. Drivers must have written authorization from their department/unit to use their personal vehicle for university business. RMS will maintain a standard form that can be used for this purpose.
  3. The written authorization must indicate that the university's liability insurance is excess over the driver's personal insurance; there is no university insurance for property damage to personal vehicles; and the owner is responsible for all deductibles that may apply to their personal insurance policy.
  4. Drivers must provide to their department evidence of liability insurance for their personal vehicle as required by Arizona state law.
  5. Departments are responsible for maintaining documentation of authorization for drivers to use personal vehicles on university business.

7.0 Use of Rental and Leased Vehicles on University Business

Commercial rental vehicles used for university business are subject to generally the same requirements (including driver qualification and training requirements) as university vehicles, with the following additional provisions (see also FRS Transportation Policy 14.15):

  1. Vehicle safety inspections conducted by the Motor Pool are not required for rentals with duration of less than one year. Leased vehicles and rentals longer than one year are required to obtain an annual vehicle safety inspection from the Motor Pool.
  2. Vehicles leased for six months or more must comply with the vehicle marking requirements outlined in Arizona Revised Statutes §38-538.
  3. University insurance provides liability and property damage coverage of rental vehicles for official university business only. As such, users of rental vehicles should decline optional insurance options offered by rental agencies, except when using rental vehicles outside the U.S. For international rentals, users are advised to purchase collision damage insurance from the rental agency. In some countries, purchase of liability insurance from rental agencies is required by law.

8.0 Use of Golf Carts and Specialty Vehicles

Many units use golf carts and other specialty vehicles to move people and materials around campus or other university facilities. In addition to golf carts, other examples include scooters, mules, and off-road "quad" type vehicles. This section is applicable to this class of vehicles used on university business, whether electric or gas-powered.

  1. University owned carts used on public roadways must be licensed and marked with a vehicle number and appropriate university markings. Contact the university Motor Pool for assistance.
  2. The number of passengers in a cart must not exceed the vehicle seating capacity. If seat belts are installed, they must be used while the vehicle is in motion.
  3. Carts must comply with posted speed limits, stop signs, and other traffic control regulations. On campus streets, the speed limit is 20 mph unless otherwise marked.
  4. Carts may be operated on sidewalks, plazas, and bike paths if absolutely necessary, and no regular street route is available. The speed limit for carts in these locations is 5 mph. When moving through congested areas, speed should be no faster than pedestrians walking in the same area. Exercise extreme caution at blind corners and areas of crossing pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
  5. Carts may not be driven along major streets including Speedway, Sixth Street, Campbell, or Euclid, or any public street with a posted speed limit greater than 25 mph. Carts may cross major streets only at signal controlled intersections. When crossing intersections, cart drivers need to take extra care to ensure they are seen by other vehicle drivers before proceeding. Cart use on Park Avenue and through the Speedway underpasses is authorized with extra caution as described above.
  6. Carts must not be parked where they block regular traffic paths, building exits, fire department connections, wheelchair ramps or curb cuts, or any other location that may present a hazard. Additional parking restrictions may be applicable. Contact Parking and Transportation Services for guidance about parking carts on campus.
  7. Drivers of golf carts used on public roadways must meet driver eligibility, licensing, and training requirements described in Sections 2.0 through 2.6 of this document.
  8. Operators of specialty vehicles used off-road are required to receive instruction for safe operation before initial operation of the vehicle. Training for specialty vehicle operators must be based on nationally recognized industry standards or manufacturer's instructions for the types of vehicles to be operated. Training may be conducted by qualified in-house personnel, or by qualified outside organizations.

9.0 Vehicle Insurance

The university, as a state government entity, is insured under the provisions of Arizona Revised Statutes §41-621. This insurance program is administered by the Arizona Department of Administration, Risk Management Division (ADOA-RMD). The following provisions apply to this insurance program:

  1. Drivers operating university owned or rented vehicles within the course and scope of employment and/or authorization are insured for liability that may arise from their actions under the provisions of the above referenced statute. There is no insurance coverage for unauthorized or personal use of university owned or rented vehicles, and the driver is responsible for all damages.
  2. Drivers operating personal vehicles on university business are insured for liability incurred on an excess basis under the above referenced statutory program. Personal insurance or other available insurance coverage limits must be exhausted before state coverage applies. The mileage reimbursement rate includes a cost factor for personal insurance, and the vehicle owner determines whether or not to insure their vehicle for property damage. There is no state or university insurance coverage for physical damage to personal vehicles used on university business (including deductibles).
  3. Commercial rental or leased vehicle owners/agencies that have incurred damages arising from university use may seek compensation for their damages through a liability claim in accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes §12-821.01. Rental agencies and third parties should be referred to RMS for claim forms and information about submitting a liability claim.
  4. University employees injured in auto accidents that occur within the course and scope of employment are covered by worker's compensation insurance. For official volunteers and students on university field trips, insurance coverage is provided on an excess basis for accidental medical expense, and for accidental death and/or dismemberment. RMS should be contacted for all injuries to document the incident and initiate the applicable claims process.

10.0 University Vehicle Registration, Markings, Parking

  1. Titles for all vehicles owned by The University of Arizona are held by the Financial Services Office, Property Management Section.
  2. Vehicles owned or leased by The University of Arizona for more than six months must be marked with official decals and license plates in accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes §38-538, and policies of the university Motor Pool.
  3. Parking of university vehicles on campus is governed by applicable rules and regulations administered by Parking and Transportation Services.

11.0 Accident Review and Fleet Safety Advisory Committee

The Senior Vice President for Business Affairs shall appoint an Accident Review and Fleet Safety Advisory Committee based on recommendations from RMS. RMS shall coordinate the activities of the Committee and maintain records of their activity. Vehicle accidents that do not require Committee review will be reviewed by RMS.

The Accident Review and Fleet Safety Advisory Committee has the following charge:

  1. Review of vehicle accidents that involve an university vehicle or university program or activity that meet the following criteria:
    1. Accidents with property damage only exceeding $10,000.
    2. Accidents that involve injury of a university employee, passenger, or third party.
    3. Vehicle accidents or incidents brought to the committee for review at the request of RMS.
  2. The Committee will review Police Reports and other available information to determine a factual basis for the cause of the accident, make a finding of whether the accident was preventable or non-preventable by the university driver, and make recommendations for actions or corrective actions needed in response to the accident. The Committee's findings and recommendations will be forwarded to the applicable Department Head or administrator responsible for the university driver.

  3. The Committee will work with RMS in an advisory capacity to ensure that The University of Arizona Fleet Safety Policy remains current with industry practice, and that it complies with the Arizona Administrative Code and applicable state law.


A. Vehicle Safety Inspections

B. Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Compliance Program

C. Auto Loss Report Forms

D. Vehicle Use in Mexico