The University of Arizona

Risk Management Services

Considerations for International Travel




There are a variety of university policies and insurance programs that are applicable to travel abroad by faculty, staff, and students. This webpage provides an overview of the information that travelers should review well in advance of departure. Some types of travel and associated insurance coverage require advance registration and approval, and have specific deadlines for submission of required information.

University Policies and Procedures Governing Travel

Travel Authorization – All travel on university business must be authorized in advance by the traveler's home department. Additional information is available at: This policy applies to university business travel. Travel Authorization does not apply to students studying abroad, which has a separate application and registration process.

Travel Safety and Compliance – Travel to potentially hazardous regions and travel that triggers specific compliance and insurance requirements must be reviewed and approved in advance. The governing policy is the Interim Policy for International Travel Safety and Compliance.

Travel Registration – In addition to travel authorization described above, international travelers are required to register their itinerary online. The University International Travel Registry has been developed for this purpose. Registration on the site makes it possible for the university to locate travelers quickly in the event of an emergency, and the information collected also assists with the identification of any compliance requirements that may be applicable to the trip (see below)

International Insurance Coverage for Faculty and Staff

If you are a UA employee traveling abroad on business – The State of Arizona arranges international insurance coverage and access to travel assistance services while traveling in the course and scope of university employment. This includes traveling to conduct research, meet with colleagues, attend and speak at conferences, lead student travel, sabbatical travel, and any other travel on university business, regardless of the funding source for the travel.

What's covered by the State program?

What about Travel Assistance Services?

How do I access coverage or services?

What is NOT covered?

International Travel Compliance Issues

International Insurance Coverage for Student Travel

Incident and Claim Reporting

Employees who suffer an on-the-job injury while traveling abroad are advised to take the following steps as soon as reasonably practicable:

University Travel in Mexico

Travel in Mexico is subject to the university travel policies and procedures described at the top of this webpage. This includes advance travel review and authorization while the U.S. State Department Travel Warning remains in effect.

An important additional factor affecting Mexico travel is vehicle use. The State of Arizona provides Mexican vehicle insurance for university vehicles driven into Mexico. Documentation of coverage is assembled in a packet that is specific to each vehicle, including certified copies of the vehicle's registration and title. The packet must be presented to border officials when crossing the international border with a university vehicle.

Contact RMS at (520) 621-1790 to request a Mexican Vehicle Insurance Packet. Allow sufficient time for preparation, and arrange to pick up the packet at the RMS Office (220 W. Sixth Street, Building B, second floor) on a regular workday between 8am – 5p.

Neither the State of Arizona nor the University of Arizona provide Mexican insurance for personal vehicles used in Mexico on university business. Most commercial rental agencies prohibit travel into Mexico. For additional information, contact RMS.

University Travel to Sanctioned Countries and War Zones

From the OFAC Website: The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the US Department of the Treasury administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions based on US foreign policy and national security goals against targeted foreign countries and regimes, terrorists, international narcotics traffickers, those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and other threats to the national security, foreign policy or economy of the United States. OFAC acts under Presidential national emergency powers, as well as authority granted by specific legislation, to impose controls on transactions and freeze assets under US jurisdiction. Many of the sanctions are based on United Nations and other international mandates, are multilateral in scope, and involve close cooperation with allied governments.

University travel to sanctioned countries requires detailed advance review and approval to ensure compliance with applicable license requirements and travel restrictions. Sanctioned countries may or may not also be subject to U.S. State Department Travel Warnings. Consult with the UA Export Control Office well in advance of any travel envisioned to a sanctioned country. For Information about current U.S. sanctions, see

All university travel that requires a federal license must be coordinated through the Export Control Office and requires significant lead time for review and license issuance.

International insurance programs and assistance services may have coverage limitations or not be valid at all for travel to sanctioned countries or in war zones. Contact RMS well in advance of travel to review any exclusions or limitations applicable to the destination country.

Other Links and Resources